Minilogue video by Kristopher Storm (Music by Minilogue).
Carphone Warehouse ad by Kristopher Storm (Music by Minilogue).
I’m really confused. Everything in my brain is shutting down and I’ve got no idea what to say about it. My groove has been well and truly freaked.
I saw the Carphone Warehouse ad on telly and thought this is quite a nice advertisement. Then something twitched in my brain and I thought “Fuck me, that really reminds me of that Minilogue video”, then I heard the music at the end and though “Fuck me, it even sounds like bloody Minilogue”.
Then I went and looked both of them up and realised that they’ve been done by the same guy: Kristofer Strom.
Here’s why my brain almost imploded:
- I’m glad that it’s not a ripoff or ‘homage’
- I like the fact they’ve gone to the source to get it made – I like the idea of people being ‘discovered’ on YouTube then being given decent budgets to make more of their ‘art’
- I think it works well as a ad, I think it’s nice
- It’s taking something that’s been seen by 3m people globally (on YouTube) and whacking it all over the ad breaks on UK TV where it will be seen my millions more (don’t know if I feel good or bad about that – probably just neutral)
- BUT CREATIVELY IT FEELS LIKE THE LAZIEST THING IN THE ENTIRE WORLD EVER, doesn’t it?
- Or does point 5 even matter? If it’s a good ad that tells the right story and engages the target market (and the creator is getting duly rewarded) why should I be such a stuck-up creative fuckwad about it?
I don’t know how anyone else feels about it, but it’s certainly raised a debate in my head that’s not dying down…
Is this the future? Does it even matter? Do I really care?