by Iain on April 25, 2007
Well I finally did it. I finished my list of “10 Reasons that Digital is Better than Advertising“. Which is a personal triumph. It’s the longest sustained thought of my blog so far. Even longer than my ranting about Virgin Media!
Even thought it’s a bit of a personal victory to finish this, I feel a bit like I’ve failed. One of the things I actively didn’t want to happen is that people felt I’ve got something against advertising . I don’t. But someone asked me at lunch the other day why I hate advertising so much. Therefore I didn’t make my point properly. I suppose it was an obvious failing in my titling, although I did try to point out in the intro that this was only for effect.
My lunch companion pointed out rightly that we’re all just doing the same kind of stuff. Basically doing things for brands to make people like them more. Which is very true.
So before the top 10 recap, let’s just be clear: I don’t hate advertising. I just prefer working in digital. And here are 10 reasons why:
- You don’t have to do advertising
- You can just do stuff
- Because you can ‘just do it’ a spirit of entrepreneurialism prevails
- Egos are marginally smaller
- TV isn’t all that good
- Maybe there’s less to lose?
- You don’t have to work somewhere with 5 old blokes’ names above the door
- Online Audiences
- I secretly want to be an inventor
- Working with a bunch of people who ‘get it’